21 January 2009

finding an inner strength

So neither Chris or I have posted on this blog for a couple of months. Why? Well, just the typical excuses...too busy, kids are up late, too busy with the kids, and the too busy excuses continue. Yeah, it's a bunch of crap. But I hope to change that.
So although I'm not going to post any pictures right now, I am going to tell you a little bit about why I think new years resolutions actually are better than people think.
My new years resolutions (yes, plural) are similar to other years: get healthy, lose that baby weight that has been hanging around since Maddie was born, be more mindful of what I do on a daily basis. I also added my new resolution: to read more. I've made it a point to read anything--journals, cookbooks, web blogs, wikipedia stuff, fiction, non-fiction, health books, whatever. And I've actually kept this resolution so far. Which leads me to why I think resolutions are okay. Because of my more realistic (and maybe a little more atypical) resolution, I've learned a lot about what I need to do to keep the rest of my resolutions. I started reading "one minute wellness" last night. Mostly because it was the last book on my shelf that I hadn't read. It begins with a story about Elijah, a boy with lung problems that have kept him from leading a normal life since he was a baby. And because it's story with chiropractic advocacy as a theme, the boy starts to live a normal life after trying chiropractic care (rather reluctantly). But chiropractic aside, the story is about finding the reasons why you want to live a healthy, fulfilling life. And finding the strength to go after those reasons with everything you have. Because, if you can't live life to the fullest, why live at all? It seems like a waste, doesn't it?
I plan on keeping my resolutions, and adding a couple of new ones: to keep looking for a fresh perspective on everything I consider important in life. To find what truly makes me happy and to go after it. I'm going to make this one-time trip through life the best I possibly can.
That said, I'm going to the health food store today.

No comments: